Results tagged ‘ Mariano Rivera ’
If you are a baseball fan, I’m sure you heard the news about Yankees closer Mariano Rivera. He tore his ACL and a meniscus in his right knee while shagging fly balls during batting practice yesterday.
This is my fifth season covering baseball. I’ve never seen any sort of injury during batting practice. Pitchers hang out in the outfield and catch fly balls. It’s a part of the culture that is baseball, both in the majors and in the minors.
Here are a few Dash relievers on Rivera, his legacy, and shagging fly balls:
- (On his reaction to the news): “He’s still a kid at heart, but it’s a sad thing to happen. It was more of a shock and a sadness to hear. Everyone loved watching him.”
- (On looking up to Rivera): “Absolutely. I think every pitcher in the entire world looks up to him. To be as dominant as he is and as well-respected, definitely I looked up to him.”
- (On Rivera’s legacy) “He’s the best closer of all time. He throws one pitch, and you know it’s coming, and still no one can hit it. It’s just unbelievable how someone can do that.”
- (On relievers shagging fly balls) “I go hard on fly balls. It gives you a chance to be an outfielder again. I couldn’t imagine getting hurt like that with an ACL tear just fielding fly balls. That’s terrible, and I feel bad for him. I really do.”
- (On Rivera’s abilities) “Every batter knows what’s coming, and for him to be so dominant in what he does with that cutter, it’s ridiculous.”
- (On his reaction to the injury) “It really sucks for him. He’s gonna be out for a year. That’s pretty horrible.”
We wish “Mo” all the best in his recovery. Hopefully, this is not the last image we have of him in a Yankees uniform.