Some History Made, More Is Possible
With last night’s win in Salem, the Dash clinched one bit of history while setting up for another chance today.
SECOND-BEST RECORD IN WINSTON-SALEM HISTORY:
We begin with the history-making 86th win last night for Winston. Winston-Salem clinched the second-best record during the franchise’s Carolina League tenure, which stretches back to the club’s admittance as a charter member in 1945. Winston is also tied for the second-most wins in franchise history. Here is a look at the top five teams in Winston-Salem since 1945:
1. 1950 Cardinals – 106-47 (.693)
2. 2012 Dash – 86-50-1 (.632)
3. 1990 Spirits – 86-54 (.614)
4. 1979 Red Sox – 85-55 (.607)
5. 1947 Cardinals – 85-57 (.599)
That 1950 squad will never be touched, so this is about as good as it is going to get for Winston-Salem. Even if the Dash lose their final two games, the club would still have a better winning percentage than the ’90 Spirits.
MAGIC NUMBER OF ONE FOR MiLB’S BEST RECORD:
Also, the Dash have a magic number of one to secure the best mark among full-season minor league squads. Here is a look at the only five teams in MiLB with a winning percentage above .600:
1. Winston-Salem – 86-50-1 (– GB)
2. Asheville (Low-A, COL) – 86-52 (1.0 GB)
3. Indianapolis (Triple-A, PIT) – 87-55 (2.0 GB)
4. St. Lucie (High-A, NYM) – 82-52 (3.0 GB)
5. Hagerstown (Low-A, WSH) – 82-53 (3.5 GB)
Asheville is the only team that can overtake the Dash, but it will take two Tourists victories combined with a pair of Winston-Salem losses. Asheville squares off with Hagerstown, who sits fifth on this list, so the schedule certainly favors the Dash.
Obviously, the only thing that truly matters is the playoffs, but the Dash are going into postseason play with some incredible accomplishments.