Inside Semien’s Hit Streak
Since April 23, Dash shortstop Marcus Semien has hit safely in 17 straight games. After a tough start, Semien has become one of the best hitters on one of the best offenses in minor league baseball. Let’s delve a little deeper into this three-week journey.
– Semien’s 17-game hitting streak is the fourth-longest active run in the minor leagues. Peoria’s Paul Hoilman currently boasts the best run in the minors (24 games). Round Rock’s Yangervis Solarte is second with a 22-game run, with Frisco’s Jurickson Profar third at 21 games.
– His hit streak is the longest in the Carolina League this season by four games. Teammate Nick Ciolli and Wilmington’s Angel Franco share second place with a 13-game run.
– Semien is 24-for-71 (.338) with all five of his home runs and 17 of his 20 RBI during the recent run. Since Semien’s streak began, he is 10th in batting average, tied for fourth in homers and fifth in RBI.
– Success at the plate has led to success in the field. Semien has only committed one error during the streak, and it was all the way back on April 24.
– Overall this season, Semien is hitting .275 with five homers and 20 RBI. He is tied for sixth in long balls and tied for eighth in RBI. Not bad for a leadoff hitter.
– Most importantly, the Dash are 13-4 in their last 17 games, and Semien has played in every contest.
Tonight, Semien looks to make it an 18-game streak. Join me on the Pre-Game Dash at 5:50 here. Talk to you then.