Dash Pummel Potomac
It truly was an incredible effort by the Dash yesterday at BB&T Ballpark. Winston-Salem slammed Potomac 14-0. Here are some facts about the shellacking in front of more than 4,000 fans in Winston 24 hours ago:
– The Dash set season highs for runs (14) and doubles (five) in a single game while falling one short of their season high in hits (14 at Frederick April 11).
– Dash catcher Miguel Gonzalez set a career high with five runs batted in Wednesday afternoon. Gonzalez singled home a pair during Winston’s six-run sixth inning, and he capped off the scoring with a three-run double in the eighth frame. It marks the first time a Dash hitter has had five RBI in a game since Andy Wilkins drove in five during an 8-2 defeat of Myrtle Beach August 28, 2011.
– Marcus Semien entered Wednesday with a batting average of .211 and only four RBI, but he walked off the field with Winston-Salem’s first grand slam of the season. Semien went yard over the left field fence with the bases loaded in the sixth. It was just the eighth grand slam hit by Winston-Salem since the franchise became the Dash in ‘09.
– Winston’s five pitchers combined on a two-hitter, which is the lowest number of hits allowed by the club this season. It was also the Dash’s third shutout of the campaign.
– After a slow start, Dash catcher Mike Blanke has gotten hot lately. He owns a seven-game hitting streak, which is one away from the Dash’s highest this year. Blanke is hitting 8-for-26 (.308) with four RBI during the streak.
– Ryan Buch took a no-hitter into the fifth inning and finished with five scoreless innings. Four different relievers posted a scoreless frame behind Buch. It was the lowest hit output by a Winston-Salem opponent in a nine-inning shutout since the Dash held Salem to one hit May 13, 2011.
– Today, Winston-Salem has a chance to earn its first sweep since July 29-30, 2011, at Myrtle Beach. It would be the Dash’s first four-game sweep since July 25-28 at home against Kinston.
– Winston-Salem has not swept Potomac since a two-game series that was shortened because of a postponement May 5-6, 2006. The last time Winston-Salem swept Potomac in a four-game series was in Winston April 21-24, 2005.
We’ll let you know if the Dash can pull it off tonight, beginning with the Pre-Game Dash at 6:45. Talk to you then.