Thompson Making It Look Easy
Although we are not even two weeks into the 2012 Carolina League season, Dash outfielder Trayce Thompson is playing like someone deserving of Baseball America’s No. 3 White Sox prospect ranking. As we get set for the series finale from beautiful BB&T Ballpark this afternoon, here are some thoughts from and tidbits about Thompson:
- Thompson may only be hitting .250 (8-for-32), but he is tied for the team lead in home runs with two and atop the Dash pecking order in RBI with seven.
- Last night, Thompson hit a bomb over the bullpen bar in left-center field. Dash marketing and communication czar Brandon Cathey was close to where the ball landed, and he says it hit about halfway back on the grass field to the left of the Kid Zone. Had Thompson corked it to the deepest part of BB&T Ballpark, it may have pegged the fence in front of the Kids Zone. In talking with a few folks who have been with the organization since the ballpark’s opening in 2010, it seems like this home run was just barely on the outside looking in of the top 10 home runs, distance-wise, here at BB&T Ballpark. It was a titanic shot to be sure.
- “It was just a fastball kind of out over the plate, and I got my arms extended,” Thompson said about the pitch he drove out of the park. “I know a lot of guys try to get me inside with fastballs so I can’t get my arms extended, but once I do get my arms extended, usually good things happen.”
- Thompson now has 34 career minor league home runs in 234 games. That calculates to a long ball every 6.9 games, which is a pretty high rate. However, Thompson doesn’t believe he is a prototypical home run hitter. “I just try to hit the ball hard,” Thompson said. “I was focused a lot on really driving the ball. When you make hard contact, good things happen.”
- As for this squad as a whole, Thompson likes where it stands. “I think we’ve got the best team in the league,” Thompson said. “We’re just gonna have to play it out and see how it works out.”
Join Mike and I for the Pre-Game Dash at 1:45 on wsdash.com. Hear more from Trayce along with a conversation with Dash skipper Tommy Thompson. Enjoy your Sunday.